This is the bane of self-image in humans.
We have gone to extreme lengths to get rid of it, from liposuction to starving oneself our abhorrence for belly fat is real.
One of the first physical features we notice in other humans is their gut, this post “belly fat be gone” is stemmed out of deep hatred for belly fat; this a mantra most of us cough potatoes chant consciously or unconsciously.
In this post, we will look at,
- What is belly fat?
- Why is belly fat bad?
- Factors affecting belly fat
- How to get rid of belly fat
What is belly fat?
This is the Fat that accumulates around our mid-section.
We all have a percentage of fat beneath our skin and around our internal organs. But this is healthy and they have their various physiological functions.
Also known as visceral fat, it is the fat around our core.
When your waist circumference is above 40inches as a man and 35 inches as a woman this is known as Abdominal obesity.
The 2 inches of dad bod you have is mostly subcutaneous fat: fat beneath the skin, they have little or no health implication except for the shame you feel when you take off your shirt on the beach
Why is belly fat bad?
Having abdominal obesity puts you at risk of various health issues like,
- Type 2 diabetes
- Heart diseases.
According to Kristen Harrison, it is bad because
- It is metabolically active
- Releases harmful substance into the blood stream
Abdominal obesity is not dependent on general bodyweight i.e. slim people can be obese (abdominal).
Factors affecting belly fat
You might sleep well, exercise regularly and avoid stress if you don’t watch what you eat, your belly fat will cling to you like your shadow.
It is important to have some degree of mindfulness concerning these four factors.
You are what you eat, remember abs are built in the kitchen.
Here are some of the things you’re doing wrong,
- Eating too much sugary, canned, fried or processed food (food items making you fat).
- Not eating enough protein (why you should eat more protein).
- Drinking alcohol, smoking and other vices
- Eating too many calories
- Not eating enough fresh fruits
Fitness is a state of optimal function of the human body.
Here some of the things you’re doing wrong,
- Having the physical activity of a rock
- Not exercising with enough intensity
- lack of exercise
- Focusing on only sit-ups and not on other key exercises
Fat is stored in the abdomen when all the other storages are full, focus on getting more active and burning more calories.
During weight loss one of the first places you will see changes is around your waist.
This is because too much fat is not meant to be stored there, it is only a temporal storage therefore it is the first to be torched.
Doing just sit-ups is pointless. sit ups and other abs workout only strengthen your underlining core muscles.
We cannot tell your body where to start burning fat.
YOU WILL NOT BURN ABDOMINAL FAT BY DOING JUST SITUPS.
A good blend of
- strength training (mostly compound exercise because they burn more calories)
- We need sleep/ rest for the proper functioning of our body
- Research shows that Less than 4.5hrs of sleep causes a higher level of brain chemicals that affects our appetite and reward Centre
Adults are recommended to get at least 6-7 hours of sleep.
Without enough sleep, our hunger hormone will increase and leptin will reduce making us hungrier and more likely to snack on junks.
Lack of sleep has also been linked with increased BMI.
- Increases the level of cortisol
Cortisol “stress hormone” has been linked to weight gain, particularly around the abdomen. Avoid stress and exercise regularly because exercise reduces levels of cortisol.
How to get rid of belly fat
You don’t need any “hocus pokus” or miracle drugs in order to get rid of persisting belly fat, you need to follow these four factors, i.e.
If you are doing all these then have patience and the belly fat will burn.